Friday, February 25, 2011

Support Groups

http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20188761,00.html

I've been pondering the idea of joining a support group. As you know I've been reading the stories of breast cancer survivors.  So far they all mention becoming involved with a support group fairly early on in their treatment.

I think I've been handling things fairly well.  My surgeon thinks so, too. He even asked me to be on a list of support contacts for other women diagnosed with breast cancer similar to mine.  When I first started thinking about this, it was because I felt (still do) a need to do something for others.  Despite my various little pity parties, I know that I've been blessed. Things could have been so much worse than they have been.  It's always been in my nature to try to help others. And when I take on a project, I really take it on. (After all, almost 19 years ago, my husband simply volunteered me to help out with a FSG - Family Support Group for soldiers and their families - [they are now known as FRGs - Family Readiness Groups].  Little did he know that it would become a second career - albeit one that didn't come with a salary.

Even though helping others is at the forefront of my mind at the moment, even though I think I've been handling this challenge in a healthy way - I'm also considering joining a group because it would be good for me.  Earlier this week, I found myself irritated at something someone posted on Facebook (love Facebook but it can be a royal pain sometimes) about people with cancer. They were actually trying to say something good, but they said it in a way that it felt like a slap at me. And my first angry thought was "How could you possibly understand? Do you have breast cancer?"  When I took a moment to listen to the rant that was going on in my head, I realized that I just might need to talk to others who are like me. Reading the stories of survivors is helpful, but being in the same room and hearing their voices would be even better.  Don't get me wrong. I have a wonderful support group made of my loving family and friends. I wouldn't be able to crawl out of bed to meet this challenge, much less fight it without them.  They have all been more understanding than I deserve. But their understanding can't be the same as that of someone who has gone through the same I am going through.

So, now I just need to pull out my ninja librarian skills and find the right group for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment