Saturday, February 12, 2011

TGIF - on Saturday!

The week that began with me feeling like I had been run over by a bulldozer ended fairly well.  Still tired, still experiencing random bouts of nausea (it's sad that an English major has to look up how to spell that word each time she uses it), and still have that grapefruit/cantaloupe thing going on. Yet Friday was a good day.

I had my post op appointment with the surgeon.  He said that this time THEY GOT IT ALL!  Big sigh of relief.  He also told me I'm healing very well. In fact he was impressed how well I heal. He told me that the nausea and the tiredness were to be expected. And as for the swelling - it's fluid and it will just take my body time to absorb it. So I can stop worrying about how to stuff an icepack into my shirt while giving library lessons.

Then he surprised me by asking if I would be willing to be on a list of support contacts for other women who have been diagnosed with a similar type of breast cancer.  He said they normally wait until after radiation to ask survivors to do this, but that I seem to have my head in a good place and if I was willing he thought I would be a good contact.  Of course that just made my day. One of the reasons I write this blog is to share my experiences with others affected by breast cancer - and hopefully be of some help.  (Of course, its rather therapeutic for me as well.)

I checked my donations for Rocky Mountain Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and I'm now halfway to the $1800 I need to raise by June.  Thank you all for your support.


I ended the day listening to my  Battle Buddy conduct a phone interview to be a member of the Youth Crew for the Rocky Mountain Walk.  I'm so proud of this young man. He always wants to help - not just me, but others as well.  He's a hard worker as well. 

 He's truly one of my heroes (and sort of makes my stretch marks seem like badges of honor.)  Seriously, he's a good kid with a great moral compass. 

So Friday was a Fabulous Day! I still have radiation to look forward to and I'll have to have blood work done in six months to check how my body is handling the tamaxifen.  But now when I look down that long hallway in my mind  - not only does the hallway not seem so long as before, but I can see a door labeled SURVIVOR.  




So, how did your week go?

No comments:

Post a Comment