Sunday, February 6, 2011

Susan G. Komen for the Cure

As you may know I'm planning on participating in three Breast Cancer Walks this year: two Susan G. Komen Walks (Denver & Colorado Springs) and the Rocky Mountain Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. For the Avon Walk, I'm committed to raising $1800. I just signed up earlier this week and I'm already at 47% of my goal. If you'd like to contribute you can do so online by clicking here.  Or if you'd rather wait and support one of the Komen Walks, I'll be sure to let you know about them when I have more information. I'm planning a Mother's Day photo shoot to raise funds as well as designing a t-shirt.

Speaking of Susan G. Komen, she was one amazing women. Even though she was struggling with her own battle with breast cancer, she was more concerned with finding ways to help other women going through the same battle. Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the global leader in the breast cancer movement. Started by Susan's sister, Nancy G. Brinker in 1982, the foundation has made great strides.  Back then the 5 year survival rate for women diagnosed with breast cancer was 74%, today the rate is 98 percent. Nearly 75 percent of women over the age of 40 now receive regular mammograms compared to just 30% in 1982.

It's not all about fundraising. It's about education and support. This morning I've spent some time  exploring the Susan G. Komen for the Cure web site.  It's an amazing resource, providing information about diagnoses, treatment and sharing stories of those fighting the battle - just to name a few.

I'm a Zeta Tau Alpha. ZTAs  main philanthropic focus has been in support of  Susan G. Komen for the Cure. When I was diagnose with breast cancer one of the many guilty things that popped into my head was that I should have paid more attention in college. Susan G. Komen was a name I was familiar with and over the years it has been one of the charities I support. But recently I've thought as a Zeta, I should have been more involved. (Turns out that Susan G. Komen for the Cure was just in its infancy when I was in college and considering how immature I was back then, it's a wonder I was even aware of it back then.) It's not too late for me to get more involved. Nor is it too late for you.  If you have been diagnosed with breast cancer or know someone who has, I suggest you check out their site.  And if you'd like to get some exercise for a good cause, sign up for one of their walks. They are held all over the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment