Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Visualizing Wellness

The second story in B.O.O.B.S: a Bunch Of Outrageous Breast Cancer Survivors Tell Their Stories of Courage, Hope, and Healing is about a woman named Beth.  In her story she talks about encouraged to develop a visualization to use during radiation. 


Her visualization involved her Australian Shepard.  


"Sadie and I were standing side by side at the edge of a field (my breast).  As soon as the radiation began, I sent her out and she circled the entire mass, braking and nipping at the cancer cells to herd them under the radiation beam.  When the machine clicked off, I caller her back to my side." Kempner, Ann. B.O.O.B.S.: a bunch of outrageous breast-cancer survivors tell their stories of courage, hope, & healing. Cumberland House Publishing, 2004. Print. (p. 59)




http://www.positive-thinking-for-you.com/visualization.html




I like the idea of using a visualization.  It sort of reminds me of what Joel Osteen (Since our Missouri Adventure last summer, I've been reading a lot of his work) says.  I'm doing a bad job of paraphrasing what he says, but basically, he encourages you to pray differently than how I was tough to pray. Instead of asking God to help you with whatever it is you need help with, Osteen says we should pray a prayer thanking God for the blessing you are asking for.  Osteen says that "What you say in the midst of your difficulties will have a great impact on how long you stay in those situations . . . Declare God's favor."  Osteen, Joel. Your Best Life Now. New York, NY: Warner Faith, 2004. Print.


When  you face an important battle it is a good idea to be as fully armed as possible.  For me a fully stocked arsenal includes, prayer, information, family/friends, an excellent medical team and ATTITUDE. I'm human, so I do have moments (more than I would like) when I tend to indulge in some negative thinking, but for the most part I've been concentrating on a positive attitude. I'm a VICTOR, not a victim. I don't intend to just be a survivor I intend to be the WINNER.  
http://api.ning.com/files/WMo*wPvFk7Dw-2VlXGUPGjU2jOAaC4L1ibsiRIV8MMA6k6cVQMZpVZq-*-1Zn5MDBiswwUr*eaGRHVWxPnlkFAm62WYADsY1/Winner.jpg


I have an active imagination (it's the would be writer in me).  My day dreams could give Walter Middy (most of you are probably not old enough to know who that is) a run for his money, but someone said (Osteen?) if you can "see" it you can achieve it.  And that's where the visualization comes into play.  I've already used visualization to get me through the needle biopsies.  I just need a good one to get me through the radiation.


I have a few weeks to come up with a good one or two.  I meet with the radiation oncologist next Tuesday. Then we will set up a "radiation simulation" - more on that when I find out what it is. And then we'll start the six weeks of radiation.


Today I meet with the Genetics Counselors to determine if I need genetic testing.  (Wonder if there is a way to visualize blood tests that don't involve needles? When is medical science going to totally catch up with Star Trek?)


Do you have use visualization to get you through something difficult?  

No comments:

Post a Comment