Saturday, March 26, 2011

And Training For The Walk Begins

This is one wall of the Penrose Cancer Center. Even though this is an add for Colorado Spine Care, I was feel as though this lady is trying to tell me something - don't give up - keep climbing.

 This past week was Spring Break - a good time to get back into walking and to start training for the Avon Rocky Mountain Walk in June.

I managed to get in 14.03 miles this week. Not bad, but if I'm going to do a marathon and a half, I need to up my mileage.  It's true that walking, even just around the neighborhood adds considerably to the fatigue brought on by the radiation.  But it's a good fatigue. It's a productive one.  I know that the fatigue brought on by the radiation is also a good one - in that it's my body forcing me to rest so it can heal.  But feeling tired because I chose to be active feels so much better than just being tired from the treatments - I guess because it's my choice. It's also good for me. I also feel it will eventually help me get my energy back.

This week, on Monday,  I hiked around Ute Valley Park with a good friend and clocked 4.36 miles. On Wednesday, I hiked around Fox Run Park by myself. Even though my horrible sense of direction got me lost, I still managed to clock 2.6 miles before finding my car.  Today, Tony and hiked around the Air Force Academy. We started out on one trail and switched to another one. Even though I ended up falling on my butt, I think I may have found a trail that will help me train for going up Pike's Peak. But first I must get a good pair of hiking shoes.

This is the trail that I managed to walk up even though I managed to fall halfway up and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it the rest of the way up.  Fortunately, Tony was able to help me to the top.  There's a reason one shouldn't go hiking alone.
This is me after we made it up the hill and down the other side.

I'm tired, but I feel good and I'm hoping I'll sleep like a calm baby tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I'm sure it felt like a blessing to "take" the entire hike with your own legs.

    ReplyDelete